Monday's pick was...
12.25 Haydock : Longhousesignora @ 4/1 9th at 15/2 (Prominent until 2nd, chased leaders, lost place before 4th, closed after 6th, ridden next, weakened after 8th)
New Year's Eve's pick runs in the...
Before I post the daily selection, just a quick reminder of how I operate the service. Generally, I'll identify and share the selection in the evening before the following day's race and I then add a detailed write-up later on that night/next morning.
Those happy to take the early price on trust can do so, whilst some might prefer to wait for my reasoning. As I fit the early service in around my family life, I can't give an exact timing on the posts, so I suggest you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook for instant notifications of a published pick.
Knockout Blow @ 11/4 BOG
...in an 11-runner, Class 6, A/W Handicap for 3yo+ over 6f on polytrack worth £2,782 to the winner...
This 4 yr old gelding comes here seeking a hat-trick after back to back course and distance wins on this track in the last month, both at this grade under today's jockey and beating six of today's ten rivals in the process.
Jockey Hector Crouch is in decent touch right now (generally a useful pointer with these lower grade horses who tend to bet each other on a cyclical basis) having clocked up 5 winners from 25 (20% SR) for 3.11pts (+12.4% ROI) over the last three weeks of racing, from which he is...
- 5/12 (41.7%) for 16.11pts (+134.3%) at 8/1 or shorter
- 5/9 (55.6%) for 19.11pts (+212.3%) at Class 6
- 4/16 (25%) for 10.16pts (+63.5%) at Lingfield
- 3/11 (27.3%) for 12.37pts (+112.5%) in handicaps
- and 3/4 (75%) for 19.37pts (+484.25%) at 8/1 or shorter in Lingfield Class 6 handicaps.
Trainer John E Long doesn't have the biggest string of horses at his disposal, but the numbers say he's having a fair old time of it these last two years. He might have only sent 61 runners out in the last 24 months, but 13 winners (21.3% SR) and 180.9pts (+296.5% ROI) profit suggest he might be one to keep an eye on, especially under conditions like today, as those 61 runners are...
- 13/52 (25%) for 189.9pts (+365.2%) in races worth less than £4600 to the winner
- 13/51 (25.5%) for 190.9pts (+374.3%) in handicaps
- 13/47 (27.7%) for 194.9pts (+414.7%) in fields of 8-13 runners
- 12/47 (25.5%) for 188pts (+400%) over 6 to 10 furlongs
- 12/36 (33.3%) for 164pts (+455.7%) within 45 days of their last run
- 11/40 (27.5%) for 119pts (+297.5%) with 4/5 yr olds
- 10/42 (23.8%) for 147.7pts (+351.7%) within 60 miles of base
- 9/35 (25.7%) for 136pts (+388.5%) on the A/W (all on Poly)
- 9/32 (28.1%) for 99.7pts (+311.5%) at Class 6
- 8/22 (36.4%) for 144.3pts (+655.9%) from September to January
- 6/15 (40%) for 60.5pts (+403.1%) at 6 furlongs
- 5/12 (41.7%) for 13.3pts (+110.7%) at 4/1 and shorter
- 3/11 (27.3%) for 9pts (+82.1%) with LTO winners
- and 3/8 (37.5%) for 15pts (+186.9%) with Hector Crouch in the saddle
Obviously you can combine the above details into a composite angle, but with each added filter you do dilute the sample size.
If you took the first 7 of those 14 angles above, then 4/5 yr olds having travelled less than 60 miles from home to run in 8-13 runner handicaps over 6-1o furlongs worth less than £4600 within 45 days of their last run are 8 from 14 (57.1% SR) for 92.8pts (+663% ROI), including 6 from 9 at Class 6, 5 from 9 on A/W (all Poly), 5 from 6 from September to December and 4 from 7 over 6f and so on...
...pointing to...a 1pt win bet on Knockout Blow @ 11/4 BOG as was widely available at 12.30am on Monday. To see what your preferred bookie is quoting...
Don't forget, we offer a full interactive racecard service every day!
REMINDER: THERE IS NO STAT OF THE DAY ON SUNDAYS
P.S. all P/L returns quoted in the stats above are to Betfair SP, as I NEVER bet to ISP and neither should you. I always use BOG bookies for SotD, wherever possible, but I use BFSP for the stats as it is the nearest approximation I can give, so I actually expect to beat the returns I use to support my picks. If that's unclear, please ask!